The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 is a $11.99 Aldi exclusive. There is a Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast AVA from Peaks and Tides. The Peaks and Tide’s name is more reflective of the Sonoma Coast AVA than Sonoma County since the is located in Coastal Mountain Valleys.
This Cabernet Sauvignon is produced for Aldi by Plata Wine Partners, the largest independent grape growers in California. They have 60 vineyards comprising 18,000 acres and they produce 70 wines, several of which can be seen on Aldi and Trader Joe’s shelves.
Here is a quick rundown of the Sonoma County AVAs :
- Sonoma County has multiple AVAs (American Viticultural Areas) for grape growing.
- AVAs in Sonoma County are recognized for their diverse microclimates and soil types.
- Russian River Valley AVA is known for producing exceptional Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Sonoma Valley AVA is renowned for its Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel wines.
- Dry Creek Valley AVA is recognized for its Zinfandel and Sauvignon Blanc varietals.
- Alexander Valley AVA is famous for its Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot wines.
- Sonoma Coast AVA is known for its cool climate and produces excellent Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Green Valley of Russian River Valley AVA is recognized for its sparkling wines and cool-climate varietals.
- Knights Valley AVA is known for its Bordeaux varietals, including Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Rockpile AVA, located in the northwest corner of Sonoma County, is renowned for its bold and intense red wines.
Please note that this report is a general overview and does not include detailed information on each AVA.
The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 at $11.99 is in the upper price range of Aldi wines as I recall only the $19.99 Aldi Champagne is more expensive. The price alone indicates that there is something different or special about this Cabernet Sauvignon. They do not offer production notes for this Cab Sauv, what we need to know we will find out by tasting.
A General Summary of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon :
Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon wine is known for its distinct characteristics and affordability. This report provides an overview of the recent relevance of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon wine, highlighting its key features and affordability for a general audience.
Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon wine has gained significant attention recently due to its exceptional quality and affordability. This wine is characterized by its rich flavors of blackcurrant, cherry, and plum, accompanied by notes of tobacco, cedar, and vanilla. It typically exhibits a medium to full body with well-integrated tannins, making it approachable and enjoyable for a wide range of wine enthusiasts.
The affordability of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon wine has made it a popular choice among consumers looking for high-quality wines at reasonable prices. Despite its affordability, this wine maintains its reputation for excellence, often rivaling more expensive counterparts from other regions.
In conclusion, Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon wine offers a compelling combination of exceptional quality and affordability. Its distinct characteristics and approachable nature make it an appealing choice for wine connoisseurs and casual enthusiasts.
The back label mentions vanilla and cedar which come from French oak conditioning, along with flavors of dried cranberry, pomegranate, and black cherry. The alcohol content is a moderate 13.9%.
The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 Tasting Notes
The color is a raspberry jelly red with black highlights. The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 has aromas of blackberry, dark chocolate, spice, black pepper, black cherry, light herbs, mint, and plum. The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 is a fruit-forward but balanced Cabernet with excellent depth and flavor.
This Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like ripe blackberry, licorice, slightly rough-edged spice, tart cranberry, toasted vanilla, dark chocolate, and plums. The mid-palate adds ripe cherry, orange zest, blueberry, a slight pull from the tannins, and a hint of pomegranate.
The tannins are in the mix and offer good structure, while the acidity allows the flavors to fully unfolded.
- The Peaks & Tides Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 is an excellent wine for $12.99, a real bargain.
- It has flavors and characteristics found in Cabernet Sauvignon selling for closer to $20.