The 2012 Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir is sourced from multiple vineyards in the Central Vally of Chile. The Bicicleta in the name refers to the bikes the vineyard workers use to get around the facilities. This is Cono Sur’s entry-level Pinot Noir and you should be able to find it for $10 or under. The Bicicleta Pinot is aged for 8 months, 40% in oak barrels and the remaining 60% in stainless steel tanks, giving the Pinot some oak flavoring, but not much aging potential. The alcohol content is 13.8%.
The color is a crystal clear, see-thru, ruby red. The nose is actually pretty good for a ten buck Pinot, herbal tea, cherry, mushroom and dried autumn leaves. The Bicicleta Pinot Noir is a medium bodied wine with a silky mouthfeel. It starts with a blast of sour cherry, followed by herbs and sauteed mushroom. The mid palate adds an astringent, slightly medicinal flavor, along with raspberry and tea. The acidity is well hidden by the body of the wine and the finish, while subdued lasts and lasts.
The 2012 Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir is a very solid ten buck Pinot. You used to hear people say that you couldn’t find a Pinot Noir that was worth drinking for under $30. If that was ever completely true, it certainly isn’t now, Pinot Noir’s can be some of the best drinking inexpensive Red wines. Often inexpensive Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon can be good, but not very exciting, while cheap Pinot’s can have a little pizzazz. The Cono Sur Pinot won’t make you forget about Oregon Pinot Noir, but it does drink well and the price is very right.