Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

casillerodeldiablocab2011The 2011 Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon sourced from vineyards from three different grape growing valleys inside Chile’s Central Valley. Casillero del Torro is one of the value labels owned by Concha Y Toro a huge winery that has been in business for 130 years, they also produce/own Cono Sur, Trivento and Fetzer (California). 60% of this Cab was aged in American oak for 8 months, the remaining 40% was aged in stainless steel tanks. The alcohol content is 13.5% and the average price for this Cabernet on the internet is $9.

 The color is black cherry red with a strawberry halo around the rim. The nose is a combination of fresh ripe dark berries and Thanksgiving herbs and spices. It starts with tart cherry, followed by plum and licorice. The mid palate brings a pepper, herbs and raspberry. The tannins do not interfere with the flavor profile, but do add a good bit of structure. The acidity shows up on the finish and helps propel a somewhat muted cherry and herb finish on for a decent length of time.

I like the Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon, it is a $10 Cabernet that has not been softened or made excessively fruit forward to appeal to the maximum amount of wine drinkers. In fact, the balanced fruit/herbal thing might not appeal to everyone. But if this Cabernet Sauvignon speaks to you, you have a well made, versitale Red that will pair well with your favorite beef and pork creations on the Weber grill and double as a patio sipper. I am not a smoker, but this is an under $10 Cabernet that will do justice to a top notch cigar.

See also  Leese-Fitch Cabernet Sauvignon 2010


About the Author
Don’t tell anyone, but there is absolutely no correlation between the cost of wine and the quality of wine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *